Winter is truly here right now… Fire is on, heat is on, lights are on at like 4pm! Oh the joys of dull grey winter
It doesnt mean that you have to be dull or grey! We at Oceana have a DIY tip for you – so if you cant make it into the salon for a lovely Bioline facial or my personal favorite microdermabrasion – which is on special at the moment with a great collagen plumping mask!
Anyway – Cathriona is our newest member of staff – hailing from Mayo. Heres her DIY Winterising Your Skin with …. a TOMATO! Unlikely but its brilliant! Wait til you see!
Ok here’s the science bit… tomatoes are delicious source of lycopene – which is an antioxidant (repairs environmental damage that ages you).
Lycopene is a natural plant chemical that belongs to a group of chemicals called carotenoids. These natural plant chemicals are pigments that give color to the many fruits and vegetables we consume every day. Specifically, carotenoids provide yellow, orange and red colors to foods like corn, pumpkins, and tomatoes. Of the carotenoids, alpha- and beta- carotene and lycopene are probably the two best known with lycopene being responsible for the red color in tomatoes.
A number of studies have reported that lycopene has antioxidant properties that might be beneficial for the health and appearance of our skin. The antioxidant properties of carotenoids like lycopene can help fight against free radicals in our skin that are produced in response to various stressors like over-exposure to sunlight or environmental pollutants.
Heres the good bit – – The studies reported that eating tomato paste rich in lycopene daily for 12 weeks reduced the skin’s sensitivity to sunlight, thus demonstrating a protective effect of the lycopene-rich tomato paste. Furthermore, consuming the lycopene-rich tomato paste reduced the level of an enzyme responsible for the destruction of the skin’s support structure and increased the production of collagen, which is important for healthy-looking skin. So that is why most Italians have great skin!
- If you consume tomato and tomato products abundantly, the lycopene content in your skin will increase and naturally, your skin will naturally be like a baby’s skin – also give you a little tan too (yes I am serious)
- Moreover, skin with high lycopene content is not affected by the harmful rays of the sun.
- The common view of the nutritional experts is that tomato protects your skin against ultraviolet lights.
- Tomatoes and tomato products enable your skin to take in oxygen, delaying aging and wrinkling.
- Consuming minimum 200 g. cooked tomato a day ensures your skin to look young at all times.
- When you directly apply lotions and creams with a high lycopene content, you can experience slight tanning and a glowing skin color – organic tan! Its briliant for oil combination skin!
- According to studies performed by the worldwide famous centers of medicine, lycopene contained in the tomatoes and tomato products is protective against the risk of skin cancer, which has become the disease of our age.
In addition to all this, the secret of the legendary beauty of Sophia Loren, the legend who just turned 80 and looks amazing – who can be the best example for the miracles of tomatoes whose beauty lasted for long years, is the lycopene that she obtained using tomato puree and olive oil.
With tomato mask that you can comfortably apply at home, you can also say no to aging!
CATHRIONA’S TOMATO MASK
Wash a tomato of a medium size and peel off its skin. Then plane it, extract and strain its water content. Then add flour and mix until you obtain a paste. Apply the mask, which is now a paste, on your face and keep it for 5 minutes. Then rinse with warm water.
If you have dry skin, apply the mask on your face in the same manner after adding some olive oil.